Sunday, December 13, 2009

Yule Log

So, having decided to try the Daring Baker challenge, I picked out the challenge from December 2007 -- a Yule Log. The instructions were easy to follow and, the results are quite nice.

I did make a couple of changes to the recipe, based on what I had on hand. Rather than use espresso and rum/brandy flavoring, I used Cacao Powder and Praline Liquer - because I suspect that this combination is less flavorful than the originally specified flavors, I increased the amount by 1.5 times.

I also must confess, I ran out of eggs and was unable to complete the Merangue Mushroom components of the recipe. Instead, I decorated with coarsely chopped pecans and toffee bits.

As a trial run, this was a successful endeavor and has got me very intrigued to find out what the next challenge will be. I do think that in the interrim more of the challenge recipes need to be attemped. Specifically, I'm really intrigued by the Bagel Challenge. Finding a decent bagel is a very difficult endeavor and making them sounds not so hard. It's difficult to justify making Bagels during the holiday season though -- but it may just be the ticket in January.

Until next time!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment